Monday 2 April 2012

the straight jacket of respectability



I listened to this after Gina's comment yesterday and was singing it in the car for the afternoon as I ferried the kids around, in between threatening to kill them and bury them in the back garden, and getting them ready to go abroad to their great grandmothers funeral.  My youngest said well that woman was cleverer than you at least she realised she would never go to Paris when she was 37 not like you.  And then I realised that I still think I have my whole life ahead of me.  I can still ride to Paris in a sports car.  I joke that when I retire I will get me a yellow sports car and toyboy, and that I cant wait to be 97 because at that age it wont matter if I fry my brain and I can finally try acid.  I hope to live a most un-respectable old age, doing things that I would not dare do now, like going bush drinking, dying my hair pink a la zandra rhodes, the simple things that I feel to constrained to do now, or even the absolutely unthinkable play knock knock dolly, or make prank phone calls, or all the other things respectable people don't do like ordering 40 pizzas to be delivered to some random persons house.

I have a list of things that I would like to do, and places I would like to visit,  maybe waiting until old age or the time is right to do them is today lesson.  Perhaps the time should be now, not to do all the crazy old lady stuff but the things I will do someday.  Maybe today is that someday.  Perhaps it is time to take off my straight jacket of responsibility and do some of the things I would like to do someday.





No comments:

Post a Comment